What Are Executive Protection Services?
When it comes to personal security, there are different terms that are often misused. Executive protection is quite different from hiring bodyguards or security guards.
So, what exactly is it?
Executive protection is often interchangeable with Close protection services.
It means to provide security for VIPs, like celebrities, executives, CEOs, and whatnot.
These individuals require some extra protection since they are in the public eye and there is a lot of risks involved in their safety and wealth also.
It is a complete field in this industry and was actually found by US secret service banks in the year 1970s.
As they were protection the foreigners who visited their country.
The difference From Hiring A Bodyguard:
A lot of people might confuse it as hiring a guard but is actually quite different.
A bodyguard might act as a shadow and travels with you 24/7.
But EP requires a lot of high-end factors like assessing risk and making sure a proper plan is created to transport high-level VIPs from one place to the other.
A very important aspect of the EP is analyzing the possible risk and creating proper planning to devise a strategy and provide safety to the VIPs.
This system is often called Risk Assessment or Mitigation.
Their movement is usually kept as a secret, but it is only shared with a few specific individuals.
There Are 3 Important Parts of It:
1. Specific threats:
- Sometimes threats are made to such persons or even their families.
- It needs to be analyzed and made sure they are nullified.
- Sometimes there are only threats and no proper action is taken.
- In such cases, you need to make sure and separate direct threats and only empty threats too, so that you can devise proper intelligent plans.
- When personnel is on the move, sometimes a lot of accidents happen at that time.
- Crimes, kidnappings often take place during traffic.
- To make sure that you provide 100% protection, you need to keep a special eye on the mode of transportation and make sure they arrive safely everywhere.
3. Being more prominent:
- The more prominent a public figure is, the more they are in tight scrutiny.
- Thus, protective services focus according to the person’s level of prominence.
- The more famous, means will be more approached by the general masses.
- These interactions can be innocent but also dangerous.
- Sometimes fans can go way over the line as well.
Selecting an Efficient Executive Protection Team
Selecting an efficient executive protection team is essential for high stakeholders who attract attention, both positive and negative.
The protective team is responsible for ensuring that they assess any risk(s) involved, mitigating circumstances and prevent the damage that may be caused to the stakeholder, their business or family.
Selecting efficient executive protection professionals to incorporate problem-solving, situation analysis, conflict de-escalation, quick thinking, and reliability.
Hiring an efficient executive protection team that you can trust has enormous benefits for high-ranking company officials and for all the high-stake holders who rely on them. By selecting the same, this will lead to an increase in productivity.
Having security in place emancipates the high stakeholders to focus on their agendas. The protective teams’ ability to work with local law enforcement to plan safe travel routes, anticipate threats, and, when it makes sense to do so, remain in the background to assess situations and make sure the stakeholders’ work priorities are proceeding efficiently.
The efficient executive protection team further prevents the impact of disruptive losses. Efficient executive protection experts analyze situations to minimize threats and promote continuity of business as well.
Furthermore, expert protective team members are polite, discreet, and show the utmost respect for stakeholders’ privacy. They also maintain the highest standards of interpersonal communication as they come into contact with people on a client’s behalf. This furthers the protective agenda while also building trust.
The efficient executive protective team comes with a proven history of protective experience. Personal protection is fluid and interactive skill. It requires keen observation, trained instincts, understanding of legal issues, and the ability to take quick actions.
Veteran police officers and guards with military experience are often the most qualified for the position because they have spent time honing these skills and abilities. They provide customized protection plans.
Furthermore, the executive protective team is not only limited to close protection services rather the same also provides security to in movement of materials from one end to another. This is generally referred to as secure logistics.
The movement of materials all the way from supplier to end customer is the responsibility of the supply chain. Any disruption in the planned flow of materials at any stage will appear as supply chain risk. It is of vital importance to protect these chain of supplies as well as the employees who are carrying out the said task.
Supply chain disruptions, whether intentional or unintentional, have a significant negative impact on both short and long-term operations and financial performance additionally, disruptions that impact product quality can result in product recalls which create the need for costly reverse supply chain activities. Therefore, the use of secure logistics is an essential component to carry out the safe movements of products, etc.
To ensure the logistics operations safety, the efficient protective team carries out proper monitoring of the sites, routes, vehicles & staff through security escorts, CCTV cameras, RFID and Bar-coding for product tracking, GPS & Telematics for vehicle tracking. Moreover, by selecting an efficient team ensures that all individuals carrying out the task are responsible for handling transfer, loading & unloading of materials who are trained professionals.
Therefore, it is of vital importance to select an efficient protective team to carry out tasks with their skills, abilities and professional experience.
Qualities to Look for In Close Protection Operatives
Close protection operatives are professionals who are adroitly trained to combat seen and unseen dangers, threats, insecurities, hazards, and risks.
The risk of the detriment that a person may stumble across due to their high-profile status is unendurable and due to the said reason, it is advisable to take protective measures to keep themselves safe from unfortunate events that are imperceptible.
Close protection services provide you with a great range of qualities however, it is vital for you to look for seven essential calibers mentioned hereunder, that the professional(s) being deployed for your protection services should have.
- Professional Background
One of the most essential elements to look in a professional who is catering to your need(s) and want(s) i.e. security, is their professional background. These professionals may include, but not limited to, retired army personnel, etc. who have a sagacious mindset towards alarming situations.
Professionals who are in the field of protection services are veterans. Their expertise provides them with a good sense of perception and vigilance. This proficiency helps you immensely and keeps you safe from all sorts of threats. To say the least, the risk is minimized significantly. A professional background is a quality that ought to be looked for.
Experience can teach you wonders. It is pertinent to note that a professional who is safeguarding your interests that are at elevated security risk, they should have experience. The more experienced the professional is in its relevant field, the better wariness the same carries. Nothing beats experience. Experience is a quality that should be looked for.
The reaction is a quality that is a determining point of any close protection operative’s professional skills to protect you. If the reaction is not instant or up to mark, your safety will always be in jeopardy. The stakes are too high and a poor reaction cannot be afforded at any stage whatsoever. It takes a split second to be a victim; however, at the same time, it takes a split second for reacting to be saved. The reaction of the said operative should be speedy, prompt and quick. The reaction is a quality that needs to be looked for.
Exposure is another material that professionals may attain with the close protection services. This provides the professionals to be more knowledgeable about security risks. With the said exposure these professionals erudite their savvy very efficiently, even under pressure. Exposure makes the professionals more attentive to seen and unseen threats. Their exposure also helps them gain a considerable amount of comprehension about security threats and how to tackle them. Therefore, their exposure level is a quality that should be considered.
- Physical Strength
It is not an enigma rather an open secret that whoever encounters a situation where force is required, those with physical strength will indeed prevail. If your close protection operative is not physically fit, the same will directly in a beeline, have an undesirable impact on executing their core duties. It is necessary for the operative to be physically fit for encountering and confronting immediate peril. It is also perceived by the reasonable human mind that anyone with good physical strength is dominant and this nevertheless, to an extent, diminishes the threat before it even starts. This is an added benefit. Therefore, the physical strength of operatives in protection services is a quality that should be considered.
- Mode of Combat
The professional operative safeguarding your interests must be skillful in handling physical, melee weapons, armed or unarmed brawls. Any conflict or controversy arising between individuals or groups of people can cause serious harm to you because of your high stakes involved. Therefore, in light of the same, an essential quality of the operative is their ability to confront hazardous situations in any mode of combat.
The professional operatives should be good planners. Planning in advance by making a few surveys and preparing themselves for any kind of harm that may befall helps immensely in decreasing the potential risk. A good planner can be very fruitful for high stakeholders and can give you more control over an uncertain situation. This is a quality that you should look for in your close operative.
Executive Protection and Security guards are opposite concepts:
- Most of the security guards that you hire might not even have heard the terms like Risk mitigation, Embus and Debus plan, movement safety, area surveillance, etc.
- This shows that both are entirely different from each other.
- A bodyguard is hired at the end event day to act as a physical barrier between the masses and the VIPs.
- In such a huge crowd of people, someone still might do something extremely stupid and dangerous. In EP, there is no need for licensing, no such testing is required.
- It is often categorized as security or private security, although they have no such similarities.
- There are so many unregulated schools that offer certifications in these skill sets; however, it is not official.
- Due to these unmonitored places, a lot of uncertainty is created.
- Anybody who is unskilled can start teaching at these places and give untrue information.
Challenges faced by Executive Protection Services:
- EP specialists are responsible for the safety and safe movement of VIPs, celebrities and politicians.
- The security challenges are increasing day by day.
- In this current era of social media, politicians and celebrities face a lot of criticism on a daily basis.
- While they may upload snippets of their personal life which might become a controversial statement and a lot of people might get upset too.
- In general masses, there are many types of people and the activist group which can protest on a single photo or a statement made by this personnel.
- A lot of these groups can actually go way beyond and launch negative movements, asking for the ban and what not.
- They can also label you let us say, racists, offenders, misogynistic on a basis of a statement without a context.
- Therefore, you need to have protection at all times.
Proper Risk Assessment is the Key:
- The very basic step to offer executive protection is to make sure you have a proper Risk Assessment done.
- This helps to analyze any potential threats or vulnerable areas.
- This will help them discover which areas they need to priorities with regard to safety.
- They can also consult any other firm where necessary to help focus on the issues they have at hand.
- After assessing, an outline is created which enlists all the threats and risks that were identified.
- This will help to create strategies that are both efficient and also cost-effective. Some situations are different, but there are few things common to each.